The Government has produced two guidance documents for self-employed people who are currently getting less work or no work at all. The guidance covers the following areas:
- SEISS: If you’re getting less work or no work because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you might be able to claim a grant through the SIESS (Self-Employment Income Support Scheme). Check if you can claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.
- Test and Trace Support: Your local council might be able to give you £500 if you’ve been told to self-isolate, you live in England, you’re on a low income and you cannot work from home and will lose income as a result. Find out more or apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment.
- ESA: If you or your child has coronavirus, is self-isolating or shielding, you might be able to get New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). You can apply for it if you’re under State Pension age and you have made enough National Insurance contributions over the last 2 to 3 years. Find out more or apply for New Style ESA.
- JSA: If you were working as an employee within the last 2 to 3 years, you might be able to get New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA). You can apply for it if you work less than 16 hours a week, you’re under State Pension age and you have made enough class 1 National Insurance contributions over the last 2 to 3 years, usually by working as an employee. Find out more or apply for New Style JSA.
- Universal Credit: You could get Universal Credit if you have less than £16,000 in savings, and you or your partner is under State Pension age. Find out more or apply for Universal Credit.
- Pension Credit: You could get Pension Credit if you and your partner have both reached State Pension age and your weekly income is below £177.10 (for single person) or £270.30 (for couples).
- Looking for other work
Please note, if you were due to make a Self Assessment payment on account by 31 July 2020, you can put off your payment until 31 January 2021.
Read the guidance in full here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-what-to-do-if-youre-self-employed-and-getting-less-work-or-no-work
Here you can find guidance about support that is available if you were employed and have since lost your job: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-what-to-do-if-you-were-employed-and-have-lost-your-job